As your parents begin to age, you may start to wonder if or when the time will come to place them in assisted living. It can be a difficult thing to think about, but it’s a potentially necessary stage of life for seniors. If you’re in this position, a Lakewood assisted living facility may be the right place.

Ultimately, what matters most is that your loved one is taken care of and has the support that they need. One concern that you may have when considering this choice is what if my parent refuses to move to assisted living?

Identify the Motivations

As you work with your parent to discuss the possibility of assisted living, it can be a good idea to discover what your parent’s motivations and concerns are. Getting some perspective from your parent can give you a clue into what their worries and concerns are about assisted living. As an adult child, it is natural to want to rush things or to hurry and get your parent placed in a living facility where they are taken care of.

However, it can be useful to take a step back and understand what your parent is feeling. Making your parents feel like they have a voice and that they are included in the decision can go a long way toward making them feel more comfortable about it. It can also dramatically improve their outlook once they arrive at the assisted living center.

Use Empathy

During the discussion between you and your parent, it’s very important to remain empathic towards your parent and their situation. Moving to an assisted living facility can be a big transition for them, and it can fill them with a lot of questions. Listen to their concerns and even consider bringing other family members or loved ones in to provide support.

Obtaining Guardianship

In very serious instances where you are severely concerned for the well-being of your parent, you may attempt to obtain legal guardianship of your parent. This can happen if your parent refuses to go to assisted living, but you can provide evidence that they absolutely need it. To become the guardian of your parent, you must be at least 21 years old and you must ask the court to legally name you as the guardian.

If you obtain guardianship, then you could legally require your parent to move to an assisted living facility. It is important to note that this process can be very lengthy and difficult, and it could damage the relationship between you and your parent. However, there are some cases in which this is necessary. You should consult with an attorney about this if you are considering this process for your parent’s safety.


Q: What If My Parents Refuse to Go to Assisted Living?

A: If your parents refuse to go to an assisted living facility, you may look into other forms of support care for them. Some parents prefer to remain living at home. In these cases, you may explore home care or adult day care. Regardless of the type of care, if you believe that your parents need a certain level of support, it is important that you explore your options to find the most suitable resolution for them.

Q: How Do You Deal With a Stubborn Parent?

A: To deal with a stubborn parent requires a lot of patience and understanding. It is not uncommon for aging parents to become stubborn or stuck in their ways. Sometimes, it may be helpful to consider engaging the help of other family members or even a professional caregiver to try to get through to your parent. A lot of times, aging parents are stubborn because they have fears, anxieties, or other emotional stresses. It is important to be open and understanding during this time.

Q: How Do I Convince My Parents to Move into Assisted Living?

A: To convince your parents to move into an assisted living facility, you should approach them with reason, care, and compassion. It can be beneficial to make your parents feel included in the decision-making process. It’s common for parents to get defensive about moving into assisted living if they feel like the decision was made without them. Having a conversation with your parents and encouraging them to explore assisted living facilities can help them warm up to the idea of assisted living.

Q: What Happens If an Elderly Person Has No One to Care for Them?

A: If an elderly person has no one to care for them, then they may elect to live on their own. This can be dangerous because there is no one around to supervise them or provide them with the necessary support. Programs, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities are also available for seniors who do not have anyone to take care of them. Additionally, some states may enlist guardians for seniors who have no family.

Q: Can I Force My Parent Into Assisted Living?

A: It is possible for a senior to be legally compelled into an assisted living community. This can happen if someone close to the senior, such as a family member, obtains guardianship. This legal process can be cumbersome and complicated. It should be viewed as a last resort option, used only in desperate circumstances. The process typically involves a judge who will determine if the senior meets the legal definition of incapacity, depending on the evidence that is presented.

A Team of Support

It can be difficult to convince your parent that they may need assisted living, especially if they are against the idea and have been living independently. When discussing assisted living arrangements with your parent, it’s important to approach the conversation with respect, understanding, and empathy. It can be common for seniors to struggle with the idea of giving up some of their independence, and new living arrangements can be scary at first.

Making the transition to an assisted living facility can be the right move for you, your parent, and all family members involved. Your parent may find that they thoroughly enjoy the living facility. At Rocky Mountain Assisted Living, our residents are treated with care, compassion, and respect. We understand that some residents may have been hesitant to initially walk through the doors, but once they arrive, they are genuinely happy to be here. Contact our office today to learn more.